To make sure you have a great experience when browsing and buying, we have some rules and guidelines for you to follow.
Use as intended, and keep it onsite:
- Listings should be used for the sale or promotion of actual or specific things, including services, and should not be used solely for the general advertising of a brand or business. For example, you should use a listing to promote a specific event package, and not simply to advertise an events business. You must not use The Proposal Planner's listings to promote a business or website other than one for sale in your listing.
- Your listings may not contain a URL for a website.
- Listings shouldn’t include any contact details, except where asked for in the transaction process.
prices must be in New Zealand dollars and include all applicable GST (if
- It's free to list a product or service on The Proposal Planner's D.I.Y Marketplace.
- Seller's are charged 10% commission on each completed transaction. The remaining 90% is transferred directly to your account.
- Transactions are processed by Stripe. Payouts to sellers are delayed until the order is marked as completed.
Shipping and travel fees:
- Shipping and travel fee charges must be reasonable and a reflection of the actual costs for postage and delivery, and shouldn’t be inflated for profit.
We may remove or edit your listing if it violates our policies or our terms. We may also remove listings from the homepage of our site, if we think its necessary.
Buyer and Seller Protection
Our goal is to resolve disputes between sellers and buyers as quickly and as painlessly as possible. When investigating disputes between buyers and sellers, we take the bigger picture into account. Sellers who have a history of great customer service, and act in a way that’s in line with our code of conduct and other policies, will find themselves in a better position when disputes arise.
We offer protection through:
- Secure payment systems – Stripe
The Proposal Planners Ltd. (Or PropPlan)
Use of personal details (purpose of register)
Personal details are collected to make communication and use of service possible. Details can be used for communication between service providers and users and also for direct communication between users. Some personal details are visible on the profile page of the user, but those details are voluntary (except name).
The handling of personal details is not outsourced, but the register data is stored on a server that is rented from a third party company.
Information content of the register
The following information may be stored in the register:
- Personal details: Name, email address, phone number, street address
- Account details: username, password (stored in encrypted format)
- The description text that the user may write about him/herself
- The offers and requests the user has posted to the service
- The given and received feedback and badges
- Statistical data about service usage, e.g. number times the user has logged in
Regular sources of information
Personal details are given by the user on registration to the service or when using it later.
Regular handovers of the information
Information considering users of a single The Proposal Planners community may be handed over to the client who has founded that community or to the community administrators appointed by that client.
Register protection principles
The information is stored on computers. The access to the information is restricted with passwords and physical access to the computers is restricted by the server hosting company.